Oklahoma City Bus Accident Attorney
In Oklahoma, injury victims of bus accidents or commercial transportation accidents can recover for medical costs, other expenses, and pain and suffering in a bus accident lawsuit. Fortunately, bus accidents are less common than car accidents; however, the injuries and damages that come as a result of bus accidents are often severe. Often bus accidents involve rollover or tip over by the bus after collision. Buses generally do not have seatbelts or they go unused if seatbelts are installed in a bus. Any collision in a bus where passengers are not wearing seatbelts can result in serious injury to passengers. School bus crashes are some of the most tragic, not only due to the injuries sustained by the bus passengers, but the children involved as well. Cannon & Associates can assist you if you have been injured in a bus accident in Oklahoma and have questions.
Bus Accident Lawsuits in Oklahoma
The Oklahoma personal injury lawyers at Cannon & Associates have the experience and FIERCE ADVOCACY you need to receive compensation for your injuries from a bus accident. Complete the CONTACT FORM ON THIS PAGE NOW or CALL at (405) 657-2323 for a free confidential case evaluation. Founder John P. Cannon has been recognized as a Super Lawyer and Top 40 under 40 and we will use our experience to fight for you.
We handle all bus accident cases on a contingency fee basis. What does that mean to you? We do not get paid, unless you receive compensation. We will fight your case, while you focus on your health.
What should I do After a bus accident in Oklahoma?
First and foremost you should ensure your safety and the safety of others. You do not have control over your immediate actions if you are seriously injured and leave the scene in an ambulance; however, if you have minor injuries or no apparent injuries; you should take the following steps before leaving the scene:
- Call the police or 911 – it is important to have an accident report taken by police as well as documenting the crash scene and witnesses with contact and identifying information;
- Take Pictures – smart phones are amazing devices. You literally have a 21st century video camera and digital camera in your pocket and you should use it to document everything you can at the bus crash scene, including: injuries, bus damage, other vehicle damage, and anything out of the ordinary or that catches your attention;
- Document. Document. Document. – You should not rely on law enforcement to obtain the information for witnesses at the scene. Get the bus company name, license plate numbers, DOT number of the commercial bus or school bus; names and contact information of witnesses; and anything else you can record.
- Seek Medical Attention – once you leave the scene it is important to been seen by a physical; often injuries associated with a vehicle accident, especially a bus crash may take days to show signs or pain. Taking immediate action will reduce the chance of aggravating an injury.
- Journal – memories fade; however, the sooner you record everything you remember from the accident the better. You can use this journal; whether written or recorded to help your bus accident attorney, your injury claim, and dealing with insurance adjusters.
- Contact an Oklahoma Injury Attorney – the accident injury attorneys at Cannon & Associates are Fierce Advocates dedicated to helping victims of bus accidents. Whether you decide to work with us or not; we will provide you a free case strategy session to determine your best course of action moving forward.
What are the Most Common Causes of Bus Accidents in Oklahoma?
There are nearly unlimited causes that can contribute to a school bus, commercial buss, or city bus accident; however, the most common causes of bus accidents in Oklahoma are as follows:
- Speeding – Bus drivers are under tight time tables. Whether it is making stops on a tour, a city bus route, or getting children to school by a specific time; bus drivers have a schedule to maintain. Unfortunately, when bus drivers get behind for any number of reasons they may take bad steps to catch up, i.e. speeding or driving a bus at an unsafe speed. A large percentage of bus accidents are caused by bus drivers speeding.
- Distracted bus drivers – Bus drivers are tasked with more responsibilities than the average driver on the roads, which means a greater potential for distracted driving. Unfortunately, when a bus driver is distracted the consequences can be terrible for passengers on the bus and those in the way of a distracted bus driver. Distracted bus drivers is a major cause of bus accidents in Oklahoma.
- Inexperienced bus drivers – With great power comes great responsibility. This is very true in the case of bus drivers. In order to protect the public, laws and regulations are in place to ensure regular and substantial training for school bus and commercial bus drivers. However, if an inexperienced bus driver does not receive sufficient or frequent training, tragedy can result and a bus accident may occur. The failure of bus drivers to maintain sufficient training and the companies that fail to enforce sufficient training must be held accountable for bus accidents that happen as a result of insufficient training. Inexperienced bus drivers is one of the most common causes of bus accidents in Oklahoma.
- Reckless bus drivers – Some bus drivers follow the biggest boat rule, i.e. reckless bus drivers think they are king of the road, because they driver a large vehicle. This unsafe belief causes reckless bus drivers to change lanes without signaling and without regard to other vehicles, to run yellow or even red lights, and other reckless bus driver conduct. Reckless bus drivers are a major cause of bus accidents in Oklahoma.
8 Steps to take after Bus Accident Injury in Oklahoma
You should take the following 8 steps if you are injured in a bus accident in Oklahoma:
- Call the Police – call 911 or the police station and request they respond to the bus accident scene.
- Get Medical Assistance – call for help or an ambulance to examine you and other passengers or victims of the bus accident.
- Document – you should personally obtain the following information at the scene: bus driver information, bus company information, insurance information, and witness information.
- Photograph – take pictures of the bus accident and anything unusual, including skid marks and all vehicle damage.
- Journal – write down or audio/video record anything you can remember from the accident: time and place, weather, your location, what you perceived before, during, and after the accident.
- See a Doctor – schedule and attend a medical appointment to be professionally evaluated for injuries by your doctor or a specialist.
- Contact your Insurance Company – you should notify your insurance company of being involved in a bus accident. You should not speak to any other insurance companies yet.
- Contact an experienced Bus Accident Attorney – seek counsel about your options and how to protect your rights to compensation prior to speaking to insurance adjusters.
Considerations before Filing or Declining to File your Bus Passenger Injury Claim
Your insurance company or may not be able to assist you in covering all your medical expenses and maximizing your recover. Additionally, your insurance company may have many hoops in their system between your injury and you receiving sufficient compensation. Cannon & Associates uses Fierce Advocacy to ensure every client’s injuries are compensated fairly and in a timely manner. We can assist you in receiving medical treatment in a timely fashion and/or obtaining compensation for previous medical care received. Cannon & Associates will fight for you and help you collect your records and fight for your claim to compensation. We handle personal injury claims on contingency fee basis.
What is a contingency fee?
A contingency fee is an arraignment where your attorney receives nothing, unless you receive an award from your lawsuit or a settlement is reached. In short, you will owe our firm nothing, unless we are successful in obtaining compensation for you!
What compensation is available to an Oklahoma bus accident victim?
Do not wait, if you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident. Immediately seek medical treatment and speak with an Oklahoma bus accident injury lawyer. The experienced accident lawyers at Cannon & Associates can protect your rights and will assist you in obtaining compensation for your injuries:
- Medical Bills
- Future Medical Expenses
- Mental Pain and Suffering
- Physical Pain and Suffering
- Lost Wages
Specific considerations for bus accident injury victims under Oklahoma law:
- Physical Pain and Suffering – past, present, and future
- Mental Pain and Suffering – past, present, and future
- Expenses of necessary medical care, treatment – past, present, and future
- Are the injuries permanent?
- Are you physically impaired after the motorcycle accident?
- Impaired Earning Capacity
- Loss of Wages
- Your age
- Physical condition before and after the bus accident
What is the Statute of Limitations for a Bus Accident Lawsuit in Oklahoma?
The statute of limitations for bus accidents in Oklahoma is unique, because it differs based on the type of bus involved in the accident. Lawsuits based on an accident involving a private bus company must be filed within two years of the accident with an exception: bus accidents involving a minor child. In bus accidents involving a commercial or private bus company; the statute of limitations extends to when the child reaches the age of 19 or two years after the accident, whichever time frame is longer. Lawsuits against governmental bus entities must be brought within one years of the bus accident.
As is the case in any civil lawsuit, it is best to contact an experienced attorney as soon as the injury or damage occurs to preserve evidence and begin the process when the events are fresh in the minds of all parties involved.
Fierce Advocates for Oklahoma Injury Victims
The entire team at Cannon & Associates are Fierce Advocates for victims of bus injury accidents. We work on a strict contingency-fee basis, which mean you have NO ATTORNEY FEES, unless we obtain compensation in your bus accident case.
Hiring an Oklahoma Motorcycle Accident Attorney
The laws that protect victim of personal injury claims in bus accidents are complex and in order to protect your claim you must follow specific steps. Your rights to file a personal injury bus claim or bus accident lawsuit should not be taken lightly. Speak to the Oklahoma bus accident lawyers at Cannon & Associates before forfeiting your rights.
Experience matters when you or a loved one has been injured or died as a result of the negligence of someone in a bus accident in Oklahoma. It is important to know the Oklahoma personal injury lawyer you hire is dedicated to your cause and versed in all aspects of bus accident law in Oklahoma. John Cannon, owner of Cannon & Associates is a Fierce Advocate for all personal injury accident victims and will fight for you. He has been recognized as a Super Lawyer and Top 40 under 40. Contact Cannon & Associates to protect your rights and fight your motorcycle accident case in Oklahoma. Complete the CONTACT FORM ON THIS PAGE NOW or CALL at (405) 657-2323 for a free confidential case evaluation.
Our Client Reviews
"John has shown nothing but compassion and professional guidance in my case. He truly cares about his clients and is exceptionally understanding when it comes to any case he is representing. He communicates genuinely as well as in a timely matter. If I were able to give his firm any more than 5 stars, I most definitely would. He is incredible."
"John Cannon is an awesome attorney. He is very professional and honest. He really cares about his clients. John always gets back to you quickly to answer any questions you have regarding your case. I highly recommend CANNON & ASSOCIATES for any legal needs you may have."
"John Cannon has helped me through the hardest time in my life. He helped me through my divorce and custody case. He truly cares about his clients and it made me so happy he always put my daughter first and wanted what was in her best interest as a child. He is very sharp and resourceful and he has been very attentive and responsive to my needs, John is very polite and professional and he always has a great attitude. John always took the time to go over everything and explain everything in depth. I've enjoyed working with John and his team and would recommend him to other clients."
"I have known John for about 6 years now in his capacity as a Judge Advocate and a civilian attorney. John has a rare blend of both sharp analytical and interpersonal skills. I have seen John achieve positive outcomes for clients in complex scenarios and If you need an attorney who can do the same for you - this is your guy."
"John did a very good job. Although the outcome was not 100% what we expected(strange judgement) it was overall positive. I would, have and will continue to recommended him. Although I certainly hope to not need his services again in the capacity I hired him for I would not hesitate to call if I do. Thanks John"
"I signed up with John June 25th, July 5th I received an email that my case is in line to be DISMISSED, within a 2 week time period John made what was one of the most stressful times in my life better! Every case is different but he handled my case with care and he was extremely open in his communication throughout the whole process. I hope to never have to have a criminal attorney again but if I do I will definitely go back to John. I highly recommend him to anyone else who is needing an attorney!"
"John is a highly respected attorney. Professional and compassionate. He has a wealth of knowledge, being a military officer and having served as an Assistant District Attorney, a Public Defender, and an Assistant Attorney General. He helped a friend's son who was headed down the wrong path, but through John's legal defense the young man is now a successful business owner."
"John is a very professional attorney, who is not only concerned about the welfare of his client but very attentive and considerate of the family, or other bodies that are in the face of the adversity. While working on my family members case, John took time out to take a class that would educate him on how to approach the many different types of cases tried in the court room. John proved his sincerity to the calling of his job, being an attorney. I would definitely recommend him to anyone."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!! John took the reigns and provided us instant peace of mind. He was timely, respectful, transparent, very professional, honest and courteous. The service he provided was above and beyond our expectations. Can’t believe professionals like him are around. Highly highly without reservations recommend him and his team."
"John Cannon is an excellent attorney. He takes sincere interest in your needs. He maintains communication and provides all the information you might want to fully understand the legal process. He also suggests alternative resolutions to your legal needs so that you can make informed choices. I definitely recommend John."
"My experience with CANNON & ASSOCIATES was absolutely amazing. I hired John Cannon two days before my rebuttal statement was due back to the Staff Judge Advocate. Within that time frame he was able to talk to my Battery and Battalion Commanders, review my evidence, and help me write a rebuttal statement that help prove my case to them, the Brigade Commander and the Post Commanding General. Cannon worked thru the night to help me get the best results for me and my family. Due to his hard work and attention to detail I am still able to continue to serve my country and progress in my military career with no adverse actions on my record. I can not thank him enough on a job well done. Cannon showed me that he was invested in my case and I highly recommend you hire him when you need someone to represent you in a legal matter."
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."
"Hands down the best lawyer. Mr.Cannon accepted my case and got on it the same day. I would give him 10 stars if I could. I really appreciate the dedication on how he handles things with a short time frame."
"Mr. Cannon has represented me on 2 criminal cases and one civil case over the past 4 years. He has always served me honestly, speedily and with good moral direction. John has integrity and humility. He has never belittled me or treated me in an unfair manor. I appreciate all that he has done for me and I most certainly recommend him to family, strangers and friends. I will definitely use Mr. Cannon in the future for any and all of my family's legal matters."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!!"
"I had a great experience with John. He is very personable and helped me a lot. I’m really grateful I found him. He made me feel confident that he was the right lawyer for my case and that he wasn’t trying to sell me but genuinely just wanted to help me. I would highly recommend John to anyone!"
"Working with Mr. Cannon has been a real life-saving experience for me and my family. He provides the knowledge of the possibilities as soon as he can get them, then works tirelessly to ensure that any concerns or questions are addressed immediately. He has been a great asset to us not only in the face of legal troubles, but in providing a sense of security that is truly reassuring in the face of the uncertain.Mr. Cannon has been a great resource and has been very patient with me. From the start he provided a list of things to do that would help me help him with my case and since the beginning has continued to give advice or suggestions on any matter that has bothered me with my situation, large or small. He is gentle, yet realistic, and this combination really does become a rock in tumultuous times such as these.I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone who needs a vigilant and committed attorney, especially one that stands by your side until your issue is resolved. He goes above and beyond not only to work, but to care for his clients!"
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."