What is an Agency Adoption in Oklahoma?
Adoption is a blessing to many families and the children that are adopted across Oklahoma. Some families turn to adoption as the only option to have children, some turn to adoption to grow their family, and some families are called to adoption by their faith or their heart. Whatever the reason families seek to adopt a child, it can be a life altering and wonderful experience. There are many roads to adoption, including agency adoption in Oklahoma. Agency adoptions can be complicated and stressful as more parties are involved and legal complexities are common for agency adoptions in Oklahoma.
Agency adoption in Oklahoma is the only option to adopt for many prospective parents and it can be difficult emotionally. The best way we have found to face the emotional toll of agency adoption is to understand everything in the process and know what options and risks there are at every step of your adoption process in Oklahoma. You and your family should have many questions about agency adoption, if you are considering it as an option to adopt a child in Oklahoma.
We hope this resource and others on our website provides you answers to your questions. Our OKC adoption attorneys are here to answer your questions and address all of your concerns related to agency adoptions in Oklahoma.
FREE RESOURCES FROM CANNON & ASSOCIATES
Please find free resources available on our website and our YouTube page. Also, you may call us anytime 405-591-3935 for a free confidential case strategy sessions to have your Oklahoma adoption questions answered.
OKC Adoption Attorneys for Agency Adoption
Your Fierce Advocates® at Cannon and Associates are dedicated to serving you throughout your adoption in Oklahoma. Our OKC adoption attorneys use our collective experience to make the process as stress free as possible for you and strive to do the heavy lifting for your family along the way.
Many parts of an agency adoption in Oklahoma are predictable and we can forecast much of what you will except along the road to adoption in Oklahoma; however, every agency adoption has its own unique challenges. Our OKC adoption lawyers and our entire team are dedicated to making the process as smooth and stress free as possible for you and your entire family.
What is Agency Adoption in Oklahoma?
Agency adoption is any adoption where adoptive parents are connected to birth parents through an “agency” or organization. Unlike a kinship adoption where you are seeking to adopt a child in your family or extended family, an agency adoption involves the search for a child to adopt in Oklahoma or beyond.
Finding a birth mother that wants to place her child in a wonderful home for adoption is not an easy task. Working with a trusted adoption agency takes the stress out of this part of the process as the adoption agency provides resources to birth mothers and assists them in the journey to adoption. As a result, adoption agencies build relationships with birth mothers and connect them to prospective families to adopt. Our OKC adoption attorneys and our entire team can assist you in identifying a respectable adoption agency, as things can go very poorly, if you work with a less than reputable adoption agency.
Additionally, adoption agencies have substantial fees, which are often more than our legal fees for your adoption in Oklahoma. When you retain an experienced OKC adoption lawyer prior to hiring an adoption agency, you can increase your certainty that you are working with a reputable adoption agency. We would be glad to provide you a list of credible adoption agencies that work in Oklahoma, as well as across the country or internationally, if you are interested in an international adoption.
What concerns go along with Agency Adoptions?
Agency adoptions come with a wider variety of issues than kinship adoptions. The additional element of an adoption agency in your Oklahoma adoption means you will have an additional cost as well as potential conflict and communication issues with the adoption agency. We work hand in hand with every adoption client to ensure they have clarity and open communication with the adoption agency our clients select.
Less than reputable adoption agencies will sometimes falsify information about prospective birth mothers and/or hold your information back from prospective birth mothers in an effort to finalize placement with an adoptive family that has been waiting longer to be selected by a birth mother.
In agency adoptions, you may feel your family is being advertised to prospective birth mothers regarding the life a prospective adopted child will live with you. Needless to say this can be a stressful endeavor. Our Oklahoma adoption lawyers and entire legal team works with you to ease the process of building your prospective adoptive parent package that birth parents will see.
Many prospective adoptive families feel they are under a microscope from every birth mother or set of birth parents considering adoption; however, we work hard to mitigate your stress through this process and keep you focused on your goal of bringing a child into your home.
Agency adoptions come with additional legal documents and parties from the state in an effort to ensure that everything is above board and the entire process is done ethically. When you work with an experienced and respected Oklahoma adoption attorney, you can feel certain that your adoption will pass the hurdles put in place by the state.
The Oklahoma adoption laws related to agency adoptions are strict and require complete compliance with every step along the way to your Oklahoma agency adoption. This is one of many reasons that working with an experienced OKC adoption lawyer from the start is the wisest move to ensure your adoption is peaceful land enforceable in Oklahoma.
Is an Agency Adoption right for me?
If you are a birth parent considering adoption, there are few greater gifts that you can give to your child or another family that placing your child in a wonderful home. We are proud to not only support adoptive families in Oklahoma, but also birth mothers and birth parents seeking to place a child in adoption. As a birth parent, agency adoption provides you another resource to ensure that your rights are protected during the adoption process. However, working with an Oklahoma adoption attorney is an important option to consider as well, as your legal fees will be covered by the adoptive parents.
If you are a potential adoptive family, agency adoption may be the best option for you, if you have not identified a birth parent for an independent adoption. When you work with the right adoption agency, they will make the process easier for you. Additionally, our Oklahoma adoption lawyers are experienced in facilitating a smooth process between you, the adoption agency of your choice, and the birth parents.
Adoption with the assistance of an agency is a very rewarding experience; however, due to the complexities of the process it is important you work with an experienced Oklahoma adoption attorney to streamline the process for you and ensure your rights are protected. Adoption agencies are well intended organizations; however, they are not lawyers and cannot ensure your legal rights are protected during the adoption process in court.
What steps are involved in an agency adoption in Oklahoma?
As stated above, the decision to place your child up for adoption or seek to adopt is a difficult process both emotionally and procedurally. Agency adoptions, when handled by a reputable adoption agency, are smoother than individual adoptions. The process involved in an agency adoption is largely the same as the Oklahoma adoption process for a kinship adoption, except for the process for a prospective adoptive family connecting to a birth mother or birth parents.
The following is a basic overview of the steps to in an agency adoption in Oklahoma:
I. Planning an Agency Adoption in Oklahoma
- Family Effects: agency adoption, like any adoption is a life altering event for all the involved parties. The dynamics within your family before and after an agency adoption must be considered. Our Oklahoma adoption attorneys recommend you consider taking advantage of family counseling resources prior to entering into an agency adoption in Oklahoma. It is important to have clarity about your emotions and the emotions of your family leading up to such an important decision.
- Is Adoption the Right Choice: You and your family should seek the advice of an OKC family law attorney or OKC adoption attorney before committing to a specific course of action. You can only benefit from meeting with an experienced OKC adoption attorney or OKC family law attorney prior to committing to the adoption process. If nothing else, you can learn about the wide variety of options and danger areas to avoid in your Oklahoma adoption.
- Know Adoption Rights: you are welcome to schedule a free adoption planning meeting with our team to learn about your rights related to an agency adoption in Oklahoma. There are state and federal laws concerning adoption rights, which we would be glad to explain to you in detail.
- Research Adoption: again, there are few greater acts of selflessness than taking it upon your family to care for a child. However, you still need to research the financial issues and other implications associated with adopting a child. Oklahoma has programs and resources for adoptive parents and birth parents, which you should take full advantage. Additionally, our OKC adoption lawyers would be glad to guide you to the resources available to help you through the process. The IRS also provides an “adoption tax credit”, which every adoptive family should take advantage of in your adoption.
- Meet with a Family Lawyer: agency adoptions are complicated, especially the process of working with an adoption agency to connect to a birth mother and the legal process. These issues make it very important to work with an experienced OKC adoption lawyer. It is vital to ensure the legal documents finalizing your adoption are done correctly, so that they will protect your parental rights should one of the birth parents decide to contest the adoption years from now. All that to say, it is not wise to do any adoption in Oklahoma without an experienced attorney.
- Select an Adoption Agency: The choices for adoption agencies can be overwhelming. It is important to take your time in evaluating the candidates you like to act as your adoption agency. You should consider what previous clients have said as well as interview multiple candidates. Your Oklahoma adoption attorney will also be able to give you references and recommendations on trusted adoption agencies in Oklahoma. As a warning, your adoption agency expense will likely be greater than your Oklahoma adoption attorney legal fees. When you retain the right OKC adoption attorney prior to an adoption agency, you increase your likelihood to hire the right adoption agency to help you through this process and find the right birth mother or birth parents to adopt you child.
II. Adoption Court Process in Oklahoma
- Filing Adoption in Court: your OKC adoption attorney will draft, review with you, and file all necessary adoption pleadings in court. In agency adoptions by consent, the birth parents should sign affidavits, prepared by your adoption attorney, which is their statement of forfeiting all parental rights to the child. When this takes place, your Oklahoma adoption attorney can present the affidavits and the other necessary adoption pleadings to the court in order to finalize your adoption as soon as possible.
- Adoption Agency Involvement: your OKC adoption attorney should work with your adoption agency to ensure all necessary paperwork for the state, the adoption agency, and the court is completed as soon as possible to expidite the process of finalizing your adoption. need state agency approval, if the state is involved in your kinship adoption. When you and your OKC adoption attorney have a good working relationship with the social worker on your case, it greatly improves the process. Your Oklahoma adoption lawyer should inform you that there is no privacy related to your social worker or case worker during the adoption process. It is important to understand that you are required to open your home to the social worker and the adoption agency during the process. However, when you work with an experienced OKC adoption attorney, they should advise you of each of the potential issues, concerns, and roadblocks to adoption, so that you will be mentally and emotionally prepared.
- Open versus Closed Adoption: failure to plan is planning to fail. The amount and type of communication, if any, between your family and the birth parents or birth family after your adoption is finalized is an issue many adoptive parents are blindsided by in Oklahoma adoptions. Birth parents have rights, as do you that must be considered in evaluating what communication will take place following the adoption. An open adoption comes in unlimited forms and can include in person meetings or simply communication between you as the adoptive parents to the birth parents. Alternatively, a closed adoption provides no communication between your family and the birth family once the adoption is finalized. No two adoptions are alike; however, it is important to think about what you and your family want long before considering this very important and emotional topic in adoption. Our OKC adoption attorneys can help you evaluate the pros and cons of any option and help you form your proposal to the birth parents.
- Work with your Adoption Attorney: agency adoptions come with the additional layer of an organization or adoption agency, which will have requirements for you to complete in addition to the legal process to complete an adoption in Oklahoma. Your Oklahoma adoption attorney is your trusted ally in the adoption process and will help you with compliance and understanding with all of the elements involved in an agency adoption.
III. Finalize Your Oklahoma Adoption
- Attend Adoption Hearings: your Oklahoma adoption attorney will notify you of all necessary court appearances and may be able to appear for you at a number of hearings prior to the final adoption hearing. In agency adoptions the birth parents are typically not part of the legal proceeding as they consent to the adoption and their presence can be waived by their signature on sworn affidavits and the legal documents terminating their parental rights. However, your Oklahoma adoption attorney will need to appear at the final hearing and potentially other court dates to abide by the adoption judge’s orders and in order to be in compliance with Oklahoma adoption laws.
- Attend Final Adoption Hearing: your final adoption hearing is one of the most memorable events in your family’s history. The court will acknowledge the birth parents’ consent to the adoption, give you an opportunity to speak, and enter an order making you the legal parent for your child!
- Update Birth Certificate: once you have a file stamped copy of the final adoption court order, you or your Oklahoma adoption attorney can file for a new birth certificate for your child, which will allow you to obtain a new social security card and all other documents for your child with your last name.
- Love Your Child: once your adoption is finalized, you have the rest of your life to be a loving parent to your child. You have made the decision to give one of the greatest gifts a person can provide, be proud and own the responsibility of guiding your child to adulthood and hopefully becoming a person you are proud to call your son or daughter.
CONTACT CANNON & ASSOCIATES TODAY!
Your Fierce Advocates® at Cannon & Associates are dedicated to answering your questions and preparing you for the road to adoption in Oklahoma. We take pride in the responsibility of serving families seeking to adopt and would be glad to meet with you for a free adoption planning session.
CALL NOW 405-591-3935 for your free confidential adoption planning sessions to help you understand your circumstances and answer your questions about adoption in Oklahoma.
Our Client Reviews
More 5-star Reviews Than 99% Of Lawyers In Oklahoma
"John has shown nothing but compassion and professional guidance in my case. He truly cares about his clients and is exceptionally understanding when it comes to any case he is representing. He communicates genuinely as well as in a timely matter. If I were able to give his firm any more than 5 stars, I most definitely would. He is incredible."
"John Cannon is an awesome attorney. He is very professional and honest. He really cares about his clients. John always gets back to you quickly to answer any questions you have regarding your case. I highly recommend CANNON & ASSOCIATES for any legal needs you may have."
"John Cannon has helped me through the hardest time in my life. He helped me through my divorce and custody case. He truly cares about his clients and it made me so happy he always put my daughter first and wanted what was in her best interest as a child. He is very sharp and resourceful and he has been very attentive and responsive to my needs, John is very polite and professional and he always has a great attitude. John always took the time to go over everything and explain everything in depth. I've enjoyed working with John and his team and would recommend him to other clients."
"I have known John for about 6 years now in his capacity as a Judge Advocate and a civilian attorney. John has a rare blend of both sharp analytical and interpersonal skills. I have seen John achieve positive outcomes for clients in complex scenarios and If you need an attorney who can do the same for you - this is your guy."
"John did a very good job. Although the outcome was not 100% what we expected(strange judgement) it was overall positive. I would, have and will continue to recommended him. Although I certainly hope to not need his services again in the capacity I hired him for I would not hesitate to call if I do. Thanks John"
"I signed up with John June 25th, July 5th I received an email that my case is in line to be DISMISSED, within a 2 week time period John made what was one of the most stressful times in my life better! Every case is different but he handled my case with care and he was extremely open in his communication throughout the whole process. I hope to never have to have a criminal attorney again but if I do I will definitely go back to John. I highly recommend him to anyone else who is needing an attorney!"
"John is a highly respected attorney. Professional and compassionate. He has a wealth of knowledge, being a military officer and having served as an Assistant District Attorney, a Public Defender, and an Assistant Attorney General. He helped a friend's son who was headed down the wrong path, but through John's legal defense the young man is now a successful business owner."
"John is a very professional attorney, who is not only concerned about the welfare of his client but very attentive and considerate of the family, or other bodies that are in the face of the adversity. While working on my family members case, John took time out to take a class that would educate him on how to approach the many different types of cases tried in the court room. John proved his sincerity to the calling of his job, being an attorney. I would definitely recommend him to anyone."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!! John took the reigns and provided us instant peace of mind. He was timely, respectful, transparent, very professional, honest and courteous. The service he provided was above and beyond our expectations. Can’t believe professionals like him are around. Highly highly without reservations recommend him and his team."
"John Cannon is an excellent attorney. He takes sincere interest in your needs. He maintains communication and provides all the information you might want to fully understand the legal process. He also suggests alternative resolutions to your legal needs so that you can make informed choices. I definitely recommend John."
"My experience with CANNON & ASSOCIATES was absolutely amazing. I hired John Cannon two days before my rebuttal statement was due back to the Staff Judge Advocate. Within that time frame he was able to talk to my Battery and Battalion Commanders, review my evidence, and help me write a rebuttal statement that help prove my case to them, the Brigade Commander and the Post Commanding General. Cannon worked thru the night to help me get the best results for me and my family. Due to his hard work and attention to detail I am still able to continue to serve my country and progress in my military career with no adverse actions on my record. I can not thank him enough on a job well done. Cannon showed me that he was invested in my case and I highly recommend you hire him when you need someone to represent you in a legal matter."
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."
"Hands down the best lawyer. Mr.Cannon accepted my case and got on it the same day. I would give him 10 stars if I could. I really appreciate the dedication on how he handles things with a short time frame."
"Mr. Cannon has represented me on 2 criminal cases and one civil case over the past 4 years. He has always served me honestly, speedily and with good moral direction. John has integrity and humility. He has never belittled me or treated me in an unfair manor. I appreciate all that he has done for me and I most certainly recommend him to family, strangers and friends. I will definitely use Mr. Cannon in the future for any and all of my family's legal matters."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!!"
"I had a great experience with John. He is very personable and helped me a lot. I’m really grateful I found him. He made me feel confident that he was the right lawyer for my case and that he wasn’t trying to sell me but genuinely just wanted to help me. I would highly recommend John to anyone!"
"Working with Mr. Cannon has been a real life-saving experience for me and my family. He provides the knowledge of the possibilities as soon as he can get them, then works tirelessly to ensure that any concerns or questions are addressed immediately. He has been a great asset to us not only in the face of legal troubles, but in providing a sense of security that is truly reassuring in the face of the uncertain.Mr. Cannon has been a great resource and has been very patient with me. From the start he provided a list of things to do that would help me help him with my case and since the beginning has continued to give advice or suggestions on any matter that has bothered me with my situation, large or small. He is gentle, yet realistic, and this combination really does become a rock in tumultuous times such as these.I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone who needs a vigilant and committed attorney, especially one that stands by your side until your issue is resolved. He goes above and beyond not only to work, but to care for his clients!"
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."