Forgery Second Degree
John Cannon is one of the best attorneys in Oklahoma City. You will not regret choosing John as your legal advocate! - Leann Farha
Forgery involves making, signing, or altering a document or financial instrument with the intent to commit fraud. Forgery in the Second Degree is a less serious felony than Forgery in the Second Degree; however, it carries substantial penalties and costs. It is important to retain an experienced Oklahoma criminal defense lawyer to help fight for you in your forgery case.
The punishment for all forgery offenses is located at OKLA. STAT. tit. 21 §1621. It defines forgery in the second degree as a felony punishable by up to seven (7) years in prison. The statute specifically states; Forgery is punishable as follows:
- Forgery in the first degree is a felony punishable by imprisonment not less than seven (7) years nor more than twenty (20) years; and
- Forgery in the second degree is a felony punishable by imprisonment not exceeding seven (7) years.
- Forgery in the third degree is:
- If the value of the forgery is less than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00), a misdemeanor punishable by confinement for not more than one (1) year and by a fine not exceeding One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00).
- If the value of the forgery is One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) or more, a felony punishable by imprisonment not exceeding seven (7) years.
- If the total or aggregate value of the forgery is Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000.00) or more, a felony punishable by imprisonment not exceeding seven (7) years.
Elements of the Crime
No person may be convicted of forgery unless the State has proved beyond a reasonable doubt each element of the crime. These elements are:
1) offering/publishing as genuine;
2) a false (writing having legal significance)/coin;
3) known by the defendant to be false;
4) with the intent to defraud.
Oklahoma Jury Instruction #5-72
What the Skilled Lawyers at Cannon & Associates Can Do For You
Being charged with First Degree Forgery in Oklahoma is a serious matter. The Oklahoma criminal defense attorneys at Cannon & Associates are Fierce Advocates for Families and Freedom and will fight for you! At Cannon & Associates, we have extensive criminal defense experience, and will be with you every step of the way. We will take care to explain the issues and options to get you to your desired result and support you in this difficult time.
Contact – Cannon & Associates: Oklahoma Criminal Defense
Cannon & Associates is dedicated to Fierce Advocacy for Oklahoma criminal defendants and will fight for you. Founder John Cannon has been recognized as a Super Lawyer and Top 40 under 40. Contact Cannon & Associates to protect your rights and fight your criminal case in Oklahoma. Complete the CONTACT FORM ON THIS PAGE NOW or CALL at 405-657-2323 for a free confidential case evaluation.