Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney Serving Oklahoma City
The Cannon Law Firm works with individuals accused of criminal charges in federal, military, state, and municipal court. You need experienced and effective legal representation to Fight for Your Rights, if you have been wrongfully accused or had an instance of poor judgment.
The significance of a criminal allegation and its effects on your life, cannot be overstated. It is critical that you or your family speak to a qualified attorney today. I have been there with clients before and I can help you. Our approach to criminal defense focused service to our client and their family, especially through difficult circumstances.
Located in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, Cannon Law Firm, PLLC, provides experienced criminal defense to individuals facing felony, misdemeanor, and probation charges across the state of Oklahoma. Citizens accused stand to lose not only their freedom, but many other rights and privileges as well.
One of the most significant impacts of a criminal adjudication is its potential impact on present and future employment. Cannon Law Firm, PLLC is dedicated to Fighting for Your Rights and helping the accused and their families through one of the most challenging moments in their lives.
What We Do for You
We offer fierce representation for Oklahoma City, OK, to ensure you receive a fair outcome. You can rely on us to handle every aspect of your case so the process is faster and easier for you. We take care of:
- Paperwork: One of the most complicated parts of a criminal defense case is to file all the right documents at the right time to make sure the case is legal and binding. We take care of the detailed paperwork so you don’t have to worry about it.
- Evidence: We know what your case needs to have a favorable outcome, which is why we find all the evidence and witnesses to give your case the best chance.
- Negotiations: We can help you get the best outcome possible through our negotiation skills as a criminal defense attorney. We handle plea bargains and deals to help you get through this time.
Whatever you’ve been charged with, you can rely on us to handle your case with ease and speed.
Criminal Cases Handled Include:
Major State Crimes
- Drug Crimes:
- Trafficking in Drugs, Possession with Intent to Distribute, Money Laundering, Asset Forfeiture
- Violent Crimes:
- Robbery, Murder, Sex offenses
- Property Crimes:
- Larceny, Fraud, forgery
State Court Felony Criminal Proceedings
- Process Initiated: Involved law enforcement officer drafts a citation or charges, which is given to the prosecutor’s office to consider charges.
- Arrest: Jail sets initial bond based on schedule and individual is assigned to a cell. This process may take over 12 hours and you will be allowed to make a phone call. It is important you call someone who can assist you in retaining counsel and a bondsman.
- Prior to Arraignment: It is crucial to obtain an experienced attorney in time between arrest and charges being filed. An attorney can begin investigating you defense, preserve important evidence, and begin communicating with the prosecution’s office.
- Arraignment: The Court will provide you with a copy of the actual charges filed against you by the prosecutor and notify you of your initial court date. Additionally, the Court may reconsider your bond.
- Preliminary Hearing Conference: Your attorney and the prosecutor will discuss your case and do one of the following: set the case for preliminary hearing, begin negotiations, reach a plea agreement, or dismiss the case based on information provided by your attorney.
- Preliminary Hearing: You have a right to a preliminary hearing pursuant to Oklahoma Statutes Title 22 Section 258. The prosecutor has the burden of proof. It is essential to have an experienced attorney defend this stage of your case.
- Pretrial Conference: You and your attorney will appear before the District Judge and continue working towards a plea agreement, fight your case, or argue the sentence of your case to the District Judge.
- Jury Trial: A jury panel is selected after your attorney, the prosecutor, and the judge ask the potential panel questions. The prosecution has the burden to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt and the jury must be unanimous. Your attorney is allowed to question every witness and piece of evidence presented by the prosecution. Your attorney will present your case to the jury and should fight for your innocence.
- Verdict: The jury will return a verdict. Upon a not guilty verdict, you will be released from any further proceedings. Upon a guilty verdict, your case will be set over for sentencing and you will remain in or be placed in custody.
- Sentencing: Your attorney has the opportunity to present evidence and witnesses in mitigation and extenuation on your behalf whether at the conclusion of a trial or based on a plea.
- Appeal: Upon a guilty verdict you have the opportunity to appeal to the Court of Criminal Appeals.
- You need an experienced criminal defense attorney, if you are facing serious charges.
- Drug crimes are taken seriously by prosecutors in Oklahoma from simply possession to complex drug trafficking and racketeering schemes.
- A large percentage of state prisoners in Oklahoma are incarcerated based on drug crimes. Facing drug charges can effect multiple aspects of your life, including your freedom, finances, family, and future.
- Drug charges carry more than a potential prison sentence; they potentially carry heavy fines, difficult probation, and a complex counseling and or treatment program. Unfortunately, the harshest punishment in drug cases is often the lasting effect on your record and career.
- A conviction may appear on background checks and make it difficult to obtain employment, loans, and professional licenses. It is essential to obtain quality legal representation from an Oklahoma drug crime defense attorney who has helped hundreds of people obtain the best possible outcome in their particular circumstance. You need an experienced attorney who will fight for you, if you have been arrested, charged, or you are being investigated.
- Drug charges in Oklahoma come in many forms and each case or and charge require a different approach. All the charges can be found in Title 63 of the Oklahoma Statutes.
- Possession Controlled Dangerous Substance
- Possession Controlled Dangerous Substance within 1000 feet of a school or park
- Possession with Intent to Distribute
- Possession Controlled Dangerous Substance Proceeds
- Trafficking Controlled Dangerous Substances
- Aggravated Trafficking Controlled Dangerous Substance
- Maintaining a Dwelling where
- Possession with the Intent to Manufacture
- Possession with Intent to Distribute Imitation Controlled Dangerous Substance
- Conspiracy to Distribute a Controlled Dangerous Substance
Cannon Law Firm, PLLC is here to Help YOU
You are presumed innocent of your charges. You have rights, including competent counsel. I work with our clients and their families to assess the circumstances of your case and prepare the best defense available to you. Our firm independently examines all the evidence and investigates the facts and circumstances of your case to protect your rights.
The Cannon Law Firm, PLLC, helps clients with their criminal records, including expungements and protective orders, as those processes become available. I will Fight for Your Rights. I can be reached by calling 1(405) 657-2323 or through our Contact page. All initial consultations are free and confidential.
Our Client Reviews
"John has shown nothing but compassion and professional guidance in my case. He truly cares about his clients and is exceptionally understanding when it comes to any case he is representing. He communicates genuinely as well as in a timely matter. If I were able to give his firm any more than 5 stars, I most definitely would. He is incredible."
"John Cannon is an awesome attorney. He is very professional and honest. He really cares about his clients. John always gets back to you quickly to answer any questions you have regarding your case. I highly recommend CANNON & ASSOCIATES for any legal needs you may have."
"John Cannon has helped me through the hardest time in my life. He helped me through my divorce and custody case. He truly cares about his clients and it made me so happy he always put my daughter first and wanted what was in her best interest as a child. He is very sharp and resourceful and he has been very attentive and responsive to my needs, John is very polite and professional and he always has a great attitude. John always took the time to go over everything and explain everything in depth. I've enjoyed working with John and his team and would recommend him to other clients."
"I have known John for about 6 years now in his capacity as a Judge Advocate and a civilian attorney. John has a rare blend of both sharp analytical and interpersonal skills. I have seen John achieve positive outcomes for clients in complex scenarios and If you need an attorney who can do the same for you - this is your guy."
"John did a very good job. Although the outcome was not 100% what we expected(strange judgement) it was overall positive. I would, have and will continue to recommended him. Although I certainly hope to not need his services again in the capacity I hired him for I would not hesitate to call if I do. Thanks John"
"I signed up with John June 25th, July 5th I received an email that my case is in line to be DISMISSED, within a 2 week time period John made what was one of the most stressful times in my life better! Every case is different but he handled my case with care and he was extremely open in his communication throughout the whole process. I hope to never have to have a criminal attorney again but if I do I will definitely go back to John. I highly recommend him to anyone else who is needing an attorney!"
"John is a highly respected attorney. Professional and compassionate. He has a wealth of knowledge, being a military officer and having served as an Assistant District Attorney, a Public Defender, and an Assistant Attorney General. He helped a friend's son who was headed down the wrong path, but through John's legal defense the young man is now a successful business owner."
"John is a very professional attorney, who is not only concerned about the welfare of his client but very attentive and considerate of the family, or other bodies that are in the face of the adversity. While working on my family members case, John took time out to take a class that would educate him on how to approach the many different types of cases tried in the court room. John proved his sincerity to the calling of his job, being an attorney. I would definitely recommend him to anyone."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!! John took the reigns and provided us instant peace of mind. He was timely, respectful, transparent, very professional, honest and courteous. The service he provided was above and beyond our expectations. Can’t believe professionals like him are around. Highly highly without reservations recommend him and his team."
"John Cannon is an excellent attorney. He takes sincere interest in your needs. He maintains communication and provides all the information you might want to fully understand the legal process. He also suggests alternative resolutions to your legal needs so that you can make informed choices. I definitely recommend John."
"My experience with CANNON & ASSOCIATES was absolutely amazing. I hired John Cannon two days before my rebuttal statement was due back to the Staff Judge Advocate. Within that time frame he was able to talk to my Battery and Battalion Commanders, review my evidence, and help me write a rebuttal statement that help prove my case to them, the Brigade Commander and the Post Commanding General. Cannon worked thru the night to help me get the best results for me and my family. Due to his hard work and attention to detail I am still able to continue to serve my country and progress in my military career with no adverse actions on my record. I can not thank him enough on a job well done. Cannon showed me that he was invested in my case and I highly recommend you hire him when you need someone to represent you in a legal matter."
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."
"Hands down the best lawyer. Mr.Cannon accepted my case and got on it the same day. I would give him 10 stars if I could. I really appreciate the dedication on how he handles things with a short time frame."
"Mr. Cannon has represented me on 2 criminal cases and one civil case over the past 4 years. He has always served me honestly, speedily and with good moral direction. John has integrity and humility. He has never belittled me or treated me in an unfair manor. I appreciate all that he has done for me and I most certainly recommend him to family, strangers and friends. I will definitely use Mr. Cannon in the future for any and all of my family's legal matters."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!!"
"I had a great experience with John. He is very personable and helped me a lot. I’m really grateful I found him. He made me feel confident that he was the right lawyer for my case and that he wasn’t trying to sell me but genuinely just wanted to help me. I would highly recommend John to anyone! "
"Working with Mr. Cannon has been a real life-saving experience for me and my family. He provides the knowledge of the possibilities as soon as he can get them, then works tirelessly to ensure that any concerns or questions are addressed immediately. He has been a great asset to us not only in the face of legal troubles, but in providing a sense of security that is truly reassuring in the face of the uncertain. Mr. Cannon has been a great resource and has been very patient with me. From the start he provided a list of things to do that would help me help him with my case and since the beginning has continued to give advice or suggestions on any matter that has bothered me with my situation, large or small. He is gentle, yet realistic, and this combination really does become a rock in tumultuous times such as these. I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone who needs a vigilant and committed attorney, especially one that stands by your side until your issue is resolved. He goes above and beyond not only to work, but to care for his clients!"
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."