To beat drug trafficking charges in Oklahoma, your criminal defense attorney and you must convince the prosecutor or judge of one of the following two points or win at trial:
- Your rights were violated, and that evidence supporting your drug trafficking case was illegally obtained by law enforcement; or
- You are factually innocent of drug trafficking
Facing Drug Trafficking Charges? Check out these FREE Resources:
Our team of Your Fierce Advocates® at Cannon & Associates is led by out founder, John Cannon. He is a former drug trafficking prosecutor and has handled hundreds of drug trafficking cases from both the prosecution and the defense perspective. In addition to this article, you can find resources on our YouTube page and other pages of our website:
Everything You Need to Know About Drug Trafficking
Drug Trafficking Defense in Oklahoma
Federal Drug Trafficking Defense
Subscribe to our YouTube Page NOW
Drug Trafficking Defense in Oklahoma
This article is intended to answer your questions on how to beat drug trafficking charges in Oklahoma and how to beat drug trafficking charges in federal court. It is not easy to beat drug trafficking charges; however, we have helped many clients get their drug trafficking case dismissed by following the process described in this article.
You are welcome to call us at (405) 689-8218 any day or night to schedule a FREE confidential case planning session about your Drug Trafficking Case. Until we can speak with you, we hope the following information is helpful.
Steps to Get Your Drug Trafficking Case Dismissed in Oklahoma
If you have been charged with drug trafficking in Oklahoma, it is important to understand that this is a serious criminal offense that carries significant consequences. If you are found guilty, you may face substantial fines, imprisonment, and a criminal record that can affect the rest of your life. There are several defense strategies that can be used to challenge drug trafficking charges.
Your Fierce Advocates® at Cannon and Associates are passionate about defending the rights of our clients. Our Fierce Advocacy includes seeking dismissal of our client’s cases every client, every case. We are obviously not always successful in getting our client’s cases dismissed. However, even when we are unsuccessful, exposing issues in the prosecution’s case against our clients positively impacts their options to enter a plea, instead of going to trial. The following are steps to seek dismissal of client’s drug trafficking cases:
- Investigation: the first step Your Fierce Advocates® at Cannon and Associates take to seek dismissal of a client’s drug trafficking case is to investigate the case and obtain all available evidence from law enforcement and otherwise.
- Evaluate the Case: the next step our office takes to seek dismissal of your drug trafficking case is to review and evaluate all the available evidence. Dash cam and body cam footage at the scene of your contact with police are of crucial important to evaluating whether your Constitutional Rights were violated.
- File a Motion to Suppress: we will file a motion to suppress the evidence in the court where your case is pending if our review of the evidence supports a basis for suppression.
- Suppression Hearing: The court will schedule a hearing to consider our motion to suppress the evidence in your drug trafficking case. During the hearing, your drug trafficking defense attorney from Cannon and Associates and the prosecution will present arguments and evidence. The judge will then make a ruling on whether to suppress the evidence in your drug trafficking case.
- Lack of knowledge: In additional to the above process to seek suppression of evidence in your drug trafficking case, many of our clients are factually innocent. In the instance that you are charged with possessing drugs or trafficking drugs and you lacked knowledge of the drugs, this can be used as a defense in court.
- Entrapment: If you were induced or encouraged by law enforcement officials to participate in drug trafficking, this may be used as a defense.
- Inaccurate lab testing: If the laboratory results that identified the substance as an illegal drug are inaccurate, this may be used to challenge your drug trafficking case. Additionally, drug trafficking is based on quantity of drugs, if the lab results show less than the statutory amount for drug trafficking, then your drug charges will be reduced from drug trafficking to a less serious drug offense.
It is important to note that these defenses may not be applicable in every drug trafficking case, and that the specific circumstances of each case will dictate the most effective defense strategy in your case.
It is highly recommended that you retain an experienced criminal defense attorney to help you navigate the criminal justice system and build a strong defense against the drug trafficking charges you are facing. An experienced drug trafficking defense attorney can help you understand your rights, evaluate the evidence against you, and present the strongest possible defense in court, whether it includes suppressing evidence in your case or fighting your case.
HOW CAN YOU AVOID JAIL FOR DRUG TRAFFICKING CHARGES IN OKLAHOMA?
If you have been charged with a drug-related offense, it’s important to take the charges seriously and take steps to defend yourself. Here are some steps you can take to try to avoid going to prison on drug charges:
Hire a criminal defense attorney: An experienced criminal defense attorney can advise you on your rights and help you navigate the legal process. They can also help you build a defense strategy to challenge the evidence against you.
Don’t Speak to Police: the prosecution can and will use anything you say against you in court. When you exercise your right to remain silent, you have a greater opportunity to fight your case in court or in trial.
Challenge the evidence: Your criminal defense attorney can challenge the evidence against you, such as the legality of the search that led to the discovery of the drugs or the accuracy of drug test results.
Negotiate a plea bargain: If the evidence against you is strong, your attorney may be able to negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecution. A plea bargain is an agreement in which you plead guilty to a lesser charge in exchange for a lighter sentence.
Participate in a drug treatment program: In state drug trafficking cases, the prosecutor may agree to your receiving probation, if you have participated drug treatment programs and other pre-disposition efforts to address the issues in your case. Treatment options are far better than going to prison, if your criminal defense attorney is unable to get your case dismissed. This can be a good option if you have a drug issue and need help getting sober.
It’s important to keep in mind that the specific options available to you will depend on the facts of your case and the law applicable to your drug trafficking case. Your drug trafficking defense attorney should be able to provide you with more information and guidance specific to your situation.
CONTACT CANNON & ASSOCIATES TODAY – YOUR FIERCE ADVOCATES® AND DRUG TRAFFICKING DEFENSE ATTORNEYS
If you are facing drug trafficking charges in Oklahoma state court or federal court, it is important to work with an experienced Oklahoma drug trafficking defense attorney. When you take a strategic approach to your drug trafficking case, you increase your chances of obtaining a dismissal or avoiding prison in your drug trafficking case.
Your Fierce Advocates® at Cannon & Associates are dedicated to answering your questions and preparing you for whatever lies ahead in your Oklahoma drug trafficking case. Our owner is a Judge Advocate and former prosecutor, and we take pride in assisting clients through the difficult times of facing the criminal justice system.
We cannot guarantee that you will avoid jail or have your case dismissed by hiring us, but we promise to maximize your chances of having your case dismissed and avoiding jail. CALL NOW 405-591-3935 for your free confidential case strategy session to help you understand your options in your Oklahoma drug trafficking case.