Sex Crimes Defense
EXPERIENCED SEX CRIMES CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER
Cannon Law Firm is dedicated to Fierce Advocacy for criminally accused in Oklahoma, including those charged with sex crimes. Often, the mere accusation of a sex crime is all that is necessary for an individual to be arrested and charged with a sex crime in Oklahoma. That fact alone is scary by itself, but paired with the fact many people believe a person would not make a false accusation of being the victim of a sex crime increases the seriousness of defending these types of crimes in Oklahoma. Not only your career, but your freedom and reputation depend on the outcome of your criminal process in a sex offense case in Oklahoma. It is crucial you contact an experienced Oklahoma criminal defense attorney upon arrest or charges for any sex offense in Oklahoma. Contact Cannon Law Firm, PLLC now to receive a free confidential consultation on your case.
SEX OFFENSE CRIMES IN OKLAHOMA
Sexual offenses are widely considered the most heinous crimes in Oklahoma. Despite the presumption of innocence and the government’s burden of beyond a reasonable doubt, simply being accused of a sex crime comes with negative effects in your personal and professional life. It may feel like you have been convicted in the court of public opinion, but in our justice system you are far from it.
AVOID THE SHAME AND CONSEQUENCE OF A SEX CRIME CONVICTION
Being accused of a crime is a difficult and life altering experience, but being accused of a sex crime will likely be the worst experience of your life. The accusation is terrible, but a conviction is far worse. Upon conviction of a sex offense, you will become a sex offender and be subject to a multitude of requirements not placed on any other class of citizen in our state, including registering your address with law enforcement and being prohibited from multiple public places. You name, address, phone, and details of your charges will be public record.
FALSE ACCUSATIONS OF SEX OFFENSE
False accusations and identifications occur every day all over the United States. Sex offenses are no different, in fact it is often more common in this area of criminal law. Arrests and charges in sex cases are often based on an uncorroborated allegation, which could be based on a motive to lie, child custody purposes, or other ulterior motives.
When facing the far-reaching consequences of a sex crime conviction, you need an expert in not only criminal defense, but sex crimes defense. You need a legal specialist as soon as you believe you may be charged with a sex crimes defense. Although there is understandable embarrassment that comes with being accused or charged with a sex crime offense, you need experienced counsel by your side before you ever speak to law enforcement or any other potential witnesses.
DEFENSES IN A SEX CRIME CASE
Although the government has the only burden in a criminal case, it is important to build a strong defense. The following are some of the most powerful defenses you and your chosen criminal defense attorney should consider pursuing in your defense:
- Mistaken identification, the complaining witness is wrong in his/her identification;
- Alibi, information or evidence you were somewhere else during the criminal act;
- Inability to perform the act for which you are accused;
- The government cannot prove each necessary element of the offense with which you are charged;
- Consent, you cannot be guilty of forcible sexual acts, if the other party consented.
LACK OF CONSENT IS A LEGAL REQUIREMENT IN SEX CRIMES CASES
The prosecution must prove beyond a reasonable doubt, to a unanimous jury, that the sexual conduct was without the consent of the alleged victim in order to obtain a conviction. The issue of consent is a factual question, which is left by the Court to the jury to decide. Oklahoma law address consent in sexual assault charges at OKLA. STAT. tit. 21 § 113 and Jury Instruction 4-138, which the jury will consider in deciding your case. The law dictates the following:
- Persons need not expressly announce their consent to engage in sexual activity for there to be consent.
- Consent can be given either through words or through actions that, when viewed in the light of all the surrounding circumstances, would demonstrate to a reasonable person that consent for the specific sexual activity had been given.
- Consent is present when the evidence, in whatever form, is sufficient to demonstrate that a reasonable person would have believed that the alleged victim had affirmatively and freely given authorization to the act.
- “Consent” means the affirmative, unambiguous and voluntary agreement to engage in a specific sexual activity during a sexual encounter. Consent can be revoked at any time.
- If there is evidence to suggest that the defendant reasonably believed that consent had been given, the State must demonstrate that such a belief was unreasonable under all of the circumstances. If you find that the State has failed to sustain its burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, then the defendant must be found not guilty.
A defendant that expresses an honest belief of consent, either express or implied, has one of the strongest defenses in sex crimes cases. It is imperative that you retain an experienced sex crimes defense attorney to assist you in developing your story, protecting your rights, and that will be your Fierce Advocate.
CHOOSE A TOP-RATED OKLAHOMA SEX CRIMES ATTORNEY
FOR YOUR DEFENSE
After being accused of a sex crime, such as sexual assault, sexual battery, forcible sodomy, child molestation, or rape, you need expert criminal defense. If you are facing accusations or charges of sex crimes in Oklahoma, you will find a Fierce Advocate on your side at Cannon Law Firm, PLLC. Don’t allow the fact you are facing sexual assault charges stop you from fighting for your good name and to stay out of prison.
You need a top notched Oklahoma drug defense attorney to fight for you or family, if facing sex crimes. John Cannon, owner of Cannon Law Firm, PLLC, is an experienced criminal defense and sex crimes defense lawyer. Our office has successfully defended a multitude of individuals facing rape, child molestation, and other sex crime charges. John has been honored by being identified as a Top 40 under 40 in Criminal Defense by the National Trial Lawyers Association. John has the experience you need and will bring it to bear in your case. Additionally, he has an outstanding record of reaching the best possible outcome for hundreds of clients accused of the wide variety of serious criminal charges, evidenced by receiving the highest possible AVVO rating – 10 (superb). Contact Cannon Law Firm to protect your freedom, your future, and your story. You may send an email inquiry, complete the contact form on the website, or call at 405-888-7369