Sex Offender Registration
SEX OFFENDER REQUIREMENTS IN OKLAHOMA
CANNON & ASSOCIATES is dedicated to Fierce Advocacy for criminally accused in Oklahoma, including those charged with sex crimes. Often, the mere accusation of a sex crime is all that is necessary for an individual to be arrested and charged with a sex crime in Oklahoma. That fact alone is scary by itself, but paired with the fact many people believe a person would not make a false accusation of being the victim of a sex crime increases the seriousness of defending these types of crimes in Oklahoma. Not only your career, but your freedom and reputation depend on the outcome of your criminal process in a sex offense case in Oklahoma. It is crucial you contact an experienced Oklahoma criminal defense attorney upon arrest or charges for any sex offense in Oklahoma. Contact CANNON & ASSOCIATES, PLLC now to receive a free confidential consultation on your case.
SEX OFFENDER REGISTRATION IN OKLAHOMA
Sexual offenses are widely considered the most heinous crimes in Oklahoma and as a result the Oklahoma Legislature has mandated Special Supervision Conditions for Sex Offenders, which go far beyond the requirements of probation for any other felony offense in Oklahoma. The terms of probation for sex offenders prohibit a person convicted of a sex offense in Oklahoma from living in certain locations, from going to specific locations, and place strict registration requirements on sex offenders. Not only are the requirements of Special Supervision Conditions for Sex Offenders very strict, registration as a sex offender in Oklahoma requires maintaining constant contact with local law enforcement. Additionally, violation of any of the following conditions is not only a probation violation, but may also result in being charged with a new and separate felony for failing to register as a sex offender in Oklahoma.
SPECIAL SUPERVISION CONDITIONS FOR SEX OFFENDERS
The following conditions are mandatory for any person convicted of a sex offense in Oklahoma or on probation for a sex offense in Oklahoma. Additionally, there are additional requirements for Registration as a Sex Offender in Oklahoma upon entering a plea agreement or being convicted of a sex offense in Oklahoma.
- The sex offender will refrain from any and all contact with the victim(s) in the felony case.
- The sex offender will abide by any curfew imposed by the probation officer and/or treatment provider.
- The sex offender will not hitchhike nor pick up anyone who is hitchhiking.
- The sex offender will reside in a residence which has been approved by the probation officer.
- The sex offender will maintain gainful employment, unless medically unable to do so, or unless enrolled as a full-time student. If the offender claims medical inability to work or attend school, it must be proven by a doctor’s statement.
- The sex offender will adhere to any driving limitations imposed by the probation officer, including a driving log, if requested.
- The sex offender shall obtain prior written approval of the probation officer of the probation officer and treatment provider before using any computer equipment and/or accessing the internet.
- The sex offender shall not purchase, own, or possess any pornographic materials in any form or any materials in any form which are sexually stimulating or sexually oriented. The sex offender will not view, download, purchase, or otherwise access any pornographic materials on a computer, computer hard drive, disks, or any equipment which is capable of accessing the internet including but not limited to cellular telephones, electronic palm pilots, and/or any other devices. The sex offender will not frequent adult bookstores, sex shops, topless bars, strip clubs, massage parlors, massage parlors, adult theatres, or any other place where such material or entertainment is available. The sex offender will not utilize any sexually oriented telephone numbers or services.
- The sex offender will attend, actively participate in, and complete a sex offender treatment program in which the Program Director is a clinical member of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers (“ATSA”). The sex offender must enroll in such program as soon as possible but within thirty (30) days of the date of the plea of guilty or release from incarceration. The sex offender must provide written proof of enrollment and attendance to the Probation Officer. The sex offender will be responsible for all costs attached to the treatment, and the offender swears and/or affirms he/she will be able to do so.
- The sex offender will submit to an assessment and recommended testing by the sex offender treatment provider, including but not limited to polygraphs, to assist in treatment, planning and case monitoring.
- The sex offender shall authorize shared communication regarding his progress in sex offender treatment among the sex offender treatment providers, the District Court, the sex offender probation officer, the polygrapher, the District Attorney’s Office that prosecuted the case, the Oklahoma criminal defense attorney’s office, the sex offense victim(s), sex offender victim advocate and/or other parties deemed appropriate by the sex offender probation officer and sex offender treatment provider.
- The sex offender will submit to DNA testing for law enforcement identification purposes in accordance with Oklahoma state statutes and the rules promulgated by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations (“OSBI”) for the OSBI DNA Offender Database. Submission for testing shall be required within the first thirty (30) days of sentencing or release from incarceration. Additional DNA samples may be collected, if necessary for later DNA analysis.
- The sex offender will submit to blood test(s) to determine, if he/she is infected with a venereal disease or a communicable disease, including but not limited to HIV, if applicable. The sex offender shall agree to the victim(s) being notified of the results of the tests.
Disclaimer: This list is non-exhaustive of the conditions, which will be emplaced upon being convicted or being placed on felony probation for a sex offense in Oklahoma. Rather, this list is representative of the majority of potential sex offender probation requirements in addition to the normal terms of felony probation, including, but not limited to community service, jail or prison time, fines, fees, and other terms of probation.
SEX OFFENDER REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
In addition to the above listed terms of sex offender special probation conditions, individuals convicted of a sex offense will be required to register as a sex offender with local law enforcement and the State of Oklahoma pursuant to OKLA. STAT. tit. 57 § 584 et seq. These additional requirements are as follows:
- The sex offender will comply with the Sex Offender Registration Act by registering with the department of Corrections (“DOC”) and the law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the residence in which he/she lives and shall include the following information:
- Complete description of his/her personal features;
- Photographs and fingerprint;
- List of every offense he/she has been convicted;
- The jurisdiction of the conviction;
- The name and location of any prison, hospital, or treatment facility the sex offender has been committed;
- The sex offender’s current address and length of time at that address;
- The length of time the sex offender plans to remain at the current address.
- The sex offender must register within three (3) days of the date of the plea of guilty or no contest pursuant to OKLA. STAT. tit. 57 § 584.
- The sex offender shall not reside within two-thousand (2,000) feet of any public school, private school, or educational institution.
- The offender shall not reside with or have any contact with any child under the age of eighteen (18) years of age, if the sex offense involved any children.
- The sex offender shall not go to, linger, wander, or stay near schools, school yards, parks, playgrounds, acrades, swimming pools, or other places primarily used by children under the age of eighteen (18) years of age. Additionally, the sex offender shall not attend sporting or dance events, including practice where the participants are under the age of eighteen (18) years of age.
- The sex offender shall not date, socialize with, or engage in a sexual relationship with any person who has children under the age of eighteen (18) years of age.
CHOOSE A TOP-RATED OKLAHOMA SEX CRIMES ATTORNEY
Nothing, including the potential for a lengthy prison sentence, can explain the seriousness of facing sex offense charges in Oklahoma better than the above mandatory conditions for sex offenders in Oklahoma. After being accused of a sex crime, such as sexual assault, sexual battery, forcible sodomy, child molestation, or rape, you need experienced criminal defense. If you are facing accusations or charges of sex crimes in Oklahoma, you will find a Fierce Advocate on your side at CANNON & ASSOCIATES, PLLC. Don’t allow the fact you are facing sexual assault charges stop you from fighting for your good name, to stay out of prison, and avoid these terms of sex offender probation.
You need a top notched Oklahoma sex crimes defense attorney to fight for you or family, if facing sex crimes charges in Oklahoma. John Cannon, owner of CANNON & ASSOCIATES, PLLC, is an experienced criminal defense and sex crimes defense lawyer. Our office has successfully defended a multitude of individuals facing rape, child molestation, and other sex crime charges.
John has been honored by being identified as a Top 40 under 40 in Criminal Defense by the National Trial Lawyers Association. John has the experience you need and will bring it to bear in your case. Additionally, he has an outstanding record of reaching the best possible outcome for hundreds of clients accused of the wide variety of serious criminal charges, evidenced by receiving the highest possible AVVO rating – 10 (superb). Contact CANNON & ASSOCIATES to protect your freedom, your future, and your story. You may send an email inquiry, complete the contact form on the website, or call at (405) 657-2323.
YOUR FIERCE ADVOCATES® in:
Our Client Reviews
More 5-star Reviews Than 99% Of Lawyers In Oklahoma
"John has shown nothing but compassion and professional guidance in my case. He truly cares about his clients and is exceptionally understanding when it comes to any case he is representing. He communicates genuinely as well as in a timely matter. If I were able to give his firm any more than 5 stars, I most definitely would. He is incredible."
"John Cannon is an awesome attorney. He is very professional and honest. He really cares about his clients. John always gets back to you quickly to answer any questions you have regarding your case. I highly recommend CANNON & ASSOCIATES for any legal needs you may have."
"John Cannon has helped me through the hardest time in my life. He helped me through my divorce and custody case. He truly cares about his clients and it made me so happy he always put my daughter first and wanted what was in her best interest as a child. He is very sharp and resourceful and he has been very attentive and responsive to my needs, John is very polite and professional and he always has a great attitude. John always took the time to go over everything and explain everything in depth. I've enjoyed working with John and his team and would recommend him to other clients."
"I have known John for about 6 years now in his capacity as a Judge Advocate and a civilian attorney. John has a rare blend of both sharp analytical and interpersonal skills. I have seen John achieve positive outcomes for clients in complex scenarios and If you need an attorney who can do the same for you - this is your guy."
"John did a very good job. Although the outcome was not 100% what we expected(strange judgement) it was overall positive. I would, have and will continue to recommended him. Although I certainly hope to not need his services again in the capacity I hired him for I would not hesitate to call if I do. Thanks John"
"I signed up with John June 25th, July 5th I received an email that my case is in line to be DISMISSED, within a 2 week time period John made what was one of the most stressful times in my life better! Every case is different but he handled my case with care and he was extremely open in his communication throughout the whole process. I hope to never have to have a criminal attorney again but if I do I will definitely go back to John. I highly recommend him to anyone else who is needing an attorney!"
"John is a highly respected attorney. Professional and compassionate. He has a wealth of knowledge, being a military officer and having served as an Assistant District Attorney, a Public Defender, and an Assistant Attorney General. He helped a friend's son who was headed down the wrong path, but through John's legal defense the young man is now a successful business owner."
"John is a very professional attorney, who is not only concerned about the welfare of his client but very attentive and considerate of the family, or other bodies that are in the face of the adversity. While working on my family members case, John took time out to take a class that would educate him on how to approach the many different types of cases tried in the court room. John proved his sincerity to the calling of his job, being an attorney. I would definitely recommend him to anyone."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!! John took the reigns and provided us instant peace of mind. He was timely, respectful, transparent, very professional, honest and courteous. The service he provided was above and beyond our expectations. Can’t believe professionals like him are around. Highly highly without reservations recommend him and his team."
"John Cannon is an excellent attorney. He takes sincere interest in your needs. He maintains communication and provides all the information you might want to fully understand the legal process. He also suggests alternative resolutions to your legal needs so that you can make informed choices. I definitely recommend John."
"My experience with CANNON & ASSOCIATES was absolutely amazing. I hired John Cannon two days before my rebuttal statement was due back to the Staff Judge Advocate. Within that time frame he was able to talk to my Battery and Battalion Commanders, review my evidence, and help me write a rebuttal statement that help prove my case to them, the Brigade Commander and the Post Commanding General. Cannon worked thru the night to help me get the best results for me and my family. Due to his hard work and attention to detail I am still able to continue to serve my country and progress in my military career with no adverse actions on my record. I can not thank him enough on a job well done. Cannon showed me that he was invested in my case and I highly recommend you hire him when you need someone to represent you in a legal matter."
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."
"Hands down the best lawyer. Mr.Cannon accepted my case and got on it the same day. I would give him 10 stars if I could. I really appreciate the dedication on how he handles things with a short time frame."
"Mr. Cannon has represented me on 2 criminal cases and one civil case over the past 4 years. He has always served me honestly, speedily and with good moral direction. John has integrity and humility. He has never belittled me or treated me in an unfair manor. I appreciate all that he has done for me and I most certainly recommend him to family, strangers and friends. I will definitely use Mr. Cannon in the future for any and all of my family's legal matters."
"Mr. Cannon went above and beyond for my wife. She was facing some pretty hard fines and prison time with the US Marshalls. Mr. Cannon fought a hard fight and got her a GREAT offer. Words cannot express how much I appreciate him and what he did for my wife. I would give 10 stars and I will be promoting him. He's that awesome. He keeps you informed, he will text or call you back, and he goes above what he is asked to do and I can reassure you"HE WILL FIGHT FOR YOU OR YOUR FAMILY MEMBER". I will continue retaining him for other things my wife is battling. High five and a great big hug to Mr. Cannon. Thank you!!!"
"I had a great experience with John. He is very personable and helped me a lot. I’m really grateful I found him. He made me feel confident that he was the right lawyer for my case and that he wasn’t trying to sell me but genuinely just wanted to help me. I would highly recommend John to anyone!"
"Working with Mr. Cannon has been a real life-saving experience for me and my family. He provides the knowledge of the possibilities as soon as he can get them, then works tirelessly to ensure that any concerns or questions are addressed immediately. He has been a great asset to us not only in the face of legal troubles, but in providing a sense of security that is truly reassuring in the face of the uncertain.Mr. Cannon has been a great resource and has been very patient with me. From the start he provided a list of things to do that would help me help him with my case and since the beginning has continued to give advice or suggestions on any matter that has bothered me with my situation, large or small. He is gentle, yet realistic, and this combination really does become a rock in tumultuous times such as these.I would highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone who needs a vigilant and committed attorney, especially one that stands by your side until your issue is resolved. He goes above and beyond not only to work, but to care for his clients!"
"John Cannon assisted me through a very difficult time in my military career. He worked tirelessly with me on my case and kept me informed during the entire process. I can't say enough good things about Mr. Cannon. He's incredibly knowledgeable with regards to military justice. The outcome of my case was successful and I attribute that to Mr. Cannon's professionalism and expertise in dealing with military law. I highly recommend Mr. Cannon to anyone with military justice or criminal defense needs."